New Mexico Calabacitas [Recipe]
New Mexico Calabacitas Recipe —When I was a child, they used to force me to eat calabacitas, but now as an adult, I love them and can’t get enough. In New Mexico, calabacitas are traditionally served during Lent, without any meat. However, if it’s not Lent, you can add some beef and it will add to it just nicely. Roll it up in a homemade tortilla, and you’re set.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef (optional)
- 2 cups Summer Squash
- 2 cups corn from cob or can
- 1 1/2 cup red, white, or yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup roasted/peeled/chopped Green Chile
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped (substitute with 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place ground beef in a large pan on a medium heat. Dice squash into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, and squash in beef drippings
- Add corn and green chili and place on medium heat, then mix with the cooked ground beef, then serve.