Red Chile Stew Recipe
- 5 lb Stewing beef
- 2 1/2 lb Potatoes
- 1 ga Water
- 1 c Chimayo Red chile powder or other New Mexico variety
- 1/4 cup Garlic
- 1 1/2 c Hatch Green Chile or other New Mexico variety (roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped*)
- 1 tb Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Blue cornmeal *(optional)
Red Chile Stew Preparation
- Cut meat into 1 cubes. Cover with water and bring to a boil in a large kettle.
- Reduce heat to simmer and begin peeling and cutting potatoes into cubes.
- Add the chile and remaining ingredients to the meat and cook until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes on a medium-low heat
Red Chile Stew and Red and Green Chile Burritos – Photo by dj_classact_redfish_ent