Poor Man’s Hatch Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
New Mexico, USA – I actually created this recipe by accident, due to not having the ingredients that I thought I had. So, I had to improvise. To my surprise, they came out far better than I had imagined.
Poor Man’s Hatch Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups Hatch Green Chile (roasted, peeled, de-seeded and stemmed, chopped)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick of butter (or a 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium-large onion
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 4 cups chicken breast cubed or cut into small strips (remove fatty portions)
- 2 chicken flavor ramen noodle packets
- 16 yellow or white corn tortillas
- 1 lb. colby jack cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F
- In a large pot, melt the stick of butter on a medium heat with the flour.
- Wisk together till butter has melted completely.
- Add the heavy cream, then the onion, garlic, salt, and ramen noodle packets.
- simmer till the cream sauce becomes thick, then add the chicken and hatch green chile.
- stir the ingredients together thoroughly, then set aside.
- in a 15″ x 10″ Glass Pyrex Dish, lay down six corn tortillas spaced evenly across the bottom of the dish.
- add a layer of the creamy green chile chicken sauce.
- add a layer of cheese
- repeat step 7-9
- add a layer of 4 corn tortillas
- add a layer of the remaining cream sauce
- add the rest of the cheese.
- place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- let cool for 10 minutes