New Mexico Chile Con Queso Recipe
PREPARATION TIME: 25 Minutes
- 1 cup New Mexico Green Chile (Roasted, Peeled, de-seeded, and Chopped)
- Pepper (To Taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup butter (salted)
- 1/2 large onion (chopped finely)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced finely
- corn chips (to serve)
In a mid-sized sauce pan, on low heat, add your butter, till melted. Then saute onion and garlic until browned.
Add flour and cumin to your sauteed onion and garlic. Once browned, turn heat up on the stovetop to medium and add milk, stirring until consistency becomes thick. Lower stove to medium-low and add the cheese, 1/3 of a cup at a time. Before adding the additional cheese, make sure the cheese has melted before adding more.
Add your New Mexico chile and the diced tomatoes, season, and serve immediately with corn chips.