New Mexican Huevos Rancheros Casserole
YIELD: 6 Servings
PREP: 20 mins
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese (finely shredded, blend)
- 1/2 lb New Mexico chorizo (smoked cooked, coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup New Mexico Green Chile (roasted, peeled, chopped)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- Spray 8 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 4 tortillas in bottom of dish, overlapping as necessary, about 1/2 to 1 inch up sides of dish. Cut the last tortilla in half, and then into strips.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over tortillas in dish. Top with New Mexican chorizo, half cup New Mexico chile and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Arrange tortilla strips over cheese.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, remaining 1/2 cup New Mexico Green Chile, oregano and pepper; beat well. Pour over mixture in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese; press lightly into egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350. Bake covered casserole 30 minutes.
- Uncover, bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa.