New Mexico – If you’re from New Mexico, then you know that we like to add chile to just about everything, even if it doesn’t call for it. Over the years, we’ve come up with just about everything under the sun with green chile. Certainly, there has to be at least a million ways to cook chile. Here is just one of the great recipes that have been discovered along the way. Creamy, spicy, and hearty, just like the food grandma used to make. You’ll have to find out for yourself with this tasty dish.
Green Chile Chowder
- 1/2 c Hot Hatch New Mexico green chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 c onions, finely chopped
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 4 c Chicken broth
- 1/4 c Margarine
- 1/4 c Flour
- 3 c Milk
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- *shredded cheese
- *crispy bacon
Favorite Green Chile Chowder Preparation
- Combine the chile, onion, potatoes, corn, and salt. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Melt margarine over low heat and add flour to blend to make a roux.
- Strain liquid from potato, chile and onion mixture and reserve 3 cups cooking liquid.
- Mash half of the potato, chile and onion mixture. Reserve the other half.
- Stir reserved cooking liquid into the roux, add pepper.
- Raise heat, stirring with wire whisk until thickened.
- Add milk to thickened liquid and continue to stir until it comes to a simmer.
- Turn off heat. Add mashed potato, chile and onion mixture. Stir in and blend well.
- Add reserved cubed potatoes, chile and onions.
- Serve with crispy bacon and shredded cheese on top.