New Mexico – Christmas Chile Breakfast Surprise – Surprise, another recipe! I’m sure you’re not surprised, nonetheless, this recipe is a really good one and you’ll certainly agree after you try it. You can even try mixing and matching ingredients of your own. Once you get the basics, you can make this recipe without using any thought whatsoever.
For those of you that don’t know what Christmas Chile is, it’s when you have both red and green chile on the same dish. It’s something that us New Mexican’s created to make it easier to answer our state question, “Red or Green”?
Christmas Chile Breakfast Surprise
- 8 Strips of Bacon (for best results, use thinly sliced bacon)
- 2 Cups Shredded Potatoes
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Hatch New Mexico Green Chile or similar New Mexico variety
- 1/4 Cup Chimayo Red Chile or similar New Mexico red chile
- 2 eggs (beaten)
Preparation Instructions for Christmas Chile Breakfast Surprise
- Preheat oven to 475˚
- Weave 8 strips of bacon and layer the bottom of a small cast iron skillet (6-8 inches).
- Layer the bottom with half the shredded potatoes.
- Add Layer of Hatch New Mexico Chile, using half.
- Add Layer of Cheese, using half.
- Add 2 eggs
- Then, a layer of red chile.
- Add a layer of shredded potatoes, then, the rest of the green chile, then, the rest of the cheese.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drain fat, then turn oven to broil and cook for additional 3-5 minutes or until top becomes crispy.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes.