Now you have the recipe to make the perfect meal. Just add your favorite New Mexican food to the top, add an egg on top, and you’re set.
But don’t take my word for it. Find out for yourself with this amazing recipe.
- 2 cups Blue Bird flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Shortening or Manteca (Lard)
- 2/3 cup warm water
Buñelos Recipe Instructions
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add warm water to flour mixture and work into a smooth and elastic dough.
3. Divide dough into balls of the desired size.* On a board lightly dusted with cornmeal or flour, roll out each ball of dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Cut a hole in the center of each circle. (important)
4. Heat 2 inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
5. Fry the dough in the Shortening or Lard, one circle at a time, until golden on both sides, turning once. Drain on absorbent towels.