No better thing to spice up your spring this year, than Rajas, made with our beloved New Mexico Green Chile Pepper. A simple, yet very tasty treat for the spicy food lover. Use it as a garnish, or side. How do you say amazing in New Mexican?
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb Mild, Medium, or Hot Green Chiles
- 1 lb Poblano Green Chiles
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (or half and half for a lighter version)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- First you will need to roast the green chiles and poblanos. While they are roasting, cut the ends off of the onion and peel the skin off. Then cut the onion in half, and into strips about 1/4 inch thick. Heat a large, cast-iron pan over medium heat and drizzle in the oil. When the oil is hot, begin to cook the onions. When the onions are translucent and begin to brown on the edges, turn the heat down to low.
- Cut the stems off of the chiles, then cut them lengthwise and scrape the seeds out with a spoon. Cut the chiles into 1/2 inch strips and add them to the onions. Add the salt and the cream to the onions and chiles and cook over low heat for two or three minutes until the cream is heated through.