Looking for a great New Mexico style green chile chicken enchiladas recipe? Don’t go anywhere else! If love green chile, this is one of the most celebrated green chile recipes that you can find. I’ve literally never seen leftovers for this particular dish. As I’ve always said, “If you don’t like green chile, there must be something wrong with you!”.
- 12-16 Corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp corn oil or lard
- 1 (3-4 lb) chicken; cooked, meat removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup onion (optional)
- salt* to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock or chicken broth (boil chicken scraps, then strain)
- 1 cup Hot New Mexico Green Chile (roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped) ( I use green chile from Lemitar, New Mexico)
- 1 lb Cheddar cheese; grated
- Flash fry the corn tortillas with the cooking oil, then set aside.
- Make a sauce with heavy creme, chicken stock, green chile, onion, garlic, and chicken. Set aside.
- Alternate layers of tortillas, sauce, cheese in a 13-inch casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 25 minutes. (You may use 4 chicken breasts instead of the cooked whole chicken. In that case, bake at 350 for 1 hour.)