Yield: 3-3 1/2 dozen
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups warm water (105°-115°F)
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6-7 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar Margarine
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream shortening with sugar. Beat in eggs and add salt and anise seed.
3. Add creamed mixture to yeast and thoroughly combine. Gradually add flour to mixture until a moderately firm dough is formed. Knead dough on a lightly floured board until it is smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise until it is double in size.*
5. Punch dough down, knead, and allow to double in size again.
6. Knead dough and shape into round balls the size of an egg. Place in a well-greaed pan, cover, and allow to double in size again.
7. Lightly brush with margarine and bake in a 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes.