When it comes to green chile stew, there is about a million different ways that you can make it. You can also make it with just about any type of meat. If you’re the type of person that wants a little spice in their lives, especially on a cold winter night, then you should try this version of green chile stew, using lamb. Enjoy!!
Ingredients for Lamb Green Chile Stew Recipe
- 3 lb Lamb; boneless shoulder
- 1 cup Onion; (1 large), chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil or Olive Oil
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Juniper berries; crushed; dry
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Hatch Green Chile (roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 3/8″ squares)
Lamb Green Chile Stew Preparation
Trim excess fat from lamb shoulder; cut lamb into 1-inch cubes. Cook and stir lamb, hatch green chile, onion, and garlic in oil in 4-quart Dutch oven until the lamb is no longer pink; drain. Stir in broth, salt, juniper berries, and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour. Shake flour and water in a tightly covered container; stir into lamb mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chiles.