Yield: 4 dozen medium sopaipillas
Total Frying Time:15-20 minutes
Temperature: Medium High
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons shortening or manteca (lard)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cut in shortening.
2. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add water to dry ingredients and work into dough.
3. Knead dough until smooth, cover, and set aside for 20 minutes.
4. Heat 2 inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
5. Roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 4-inch squares and fry until golden on both sides, turning once. (If shortening is sufficiently hot, the sopaipillas will puff and become hollow shortly after being placed in the shortening.)
6. Drain sopaipillas on absorbent towels.