If you don’t like tamales, then there must be something wrong with you. This New Mexican treat is a favorite among just about every New Mexican, with an addition to many other traditional dishes served here in New Mexico.
Yield: 5-6 dozen
Steaming Time: 45 minutes
- Corn Husks
- Chile con Carne para Tamales*
* Recipes below.
Yield: Filling for 5-6 dozen tamales
- 6 cups masa harina*
- 2 cups lard
- 3 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. Combine the Masa Harina and water in a large mixing bowl to make masa. Set aside.
2. Cream the lard and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl using a mixer at medium speed.
3. Add the creamed lard to the masa and mix well.
* Six cups commercially prepared masa may be substituted and the water omitted. Masa Harina is available in the cereal section of most grocery stores.
Chile Con Carne Para Tamales (Chile-Meat Filling)
Yield: Approximately 6 cups
Cooking Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds beef or pork stewed and shredded
- 2 cups meat broth (from beef or pork)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon comino
- 1/2 cup Chimayo New Mexico Red Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Combine meat and lard in a large skillet and fry meat at medium heat until browned.
2. Add the flour to meat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the chile powder, broth, and seasonings to the meat. Cook at medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
1. Rinse corn husks and soak in warm water until pliable.
2. Spread the center portion of each husk with 2 tablespoons of masa mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon* of chile-meat filling.
3. Fold the sides of the husk toward the center, the bottom of the husk up, and the top down. Tie each tamale with a corn husk strip.
4. Pour 2 inches of water into a large steamer. Arrange tamales on a rack in the steamer above the water level.
5. Steam tamales for 45 minutes (Longer at high altitudes. May also be steamed in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure.)
* Varied amounts may be used.