AP—WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE – White Sands Missile Range has announced it will no longer accept New Mexico driver’s license as a form of identification from visitors.
Range spokesman Erin Dorrance said the base stopped accepting New Mexico IDs on Monday because they aren’t in compliance with the federal REAL ID Act.
The move comes after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security declined to give New Mexico an extension on complying with tougher rules that require proof of legal U.S. residency in order for state driver’s licenses and IDs to be valid for some federal purposes.
REAL ID Act requirements mandate proof of legal U.S. residency for holders who want to use state IDs to access certain areas of federal buildings and, eventually, board commercial flights.
Lawmakers are expected this month to work on revising New Mexico’s law.
The following forms of identification, if current, meet minimum REAL ID Act standards for DOD installation access:
- DOD-issued Common Access Card (CAC)
- Military Identification Card — active duty, retired, Reserve, National Guard or dependent.
- Federal Identification Cards (PIC)
- Transportation Worker Identification Card
- United States passport or United States passport card
- Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
- Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
- An employment authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
- Current/valid driver’s license from a state that is Real ID Act compliant
- ID card issued by federal, state, and local government agencies (must contain photo, name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address)
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Legacy Cards
- U.S. Coast Guard New Merchant Mariner Credential
- Native American tribal document.
Along with existing procedures to gain access to WSMR, a background check is also required for all visitors.
For information concerning state-by-state compliance with the REAL ID Act, visit https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs.