Yield: 4-6 servings
Cooking Time: Approximately 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds washed fresh spinach or 10 ounces frozen spinach *
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chile pequin
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 slices of bacon (omit if it’s Friday during Lent)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
1. Wash spinach thoroughly and remove stem ends.
2. Put washed spinach in a large saucepan and steam for 10-12 minutes at medium heat.
3. Drain and chop spinach, then set aside.
4. Sauté onion and bacon in a medium-sized saucepan at medium heat. Add spinach and remaining ingredients to onion, bacon and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Mix cooked whole beans with quelites, sprinkle with crushed red chile pequin.