- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- combination of 4 mild green chiles, poblano, New Mexico and Anaheim, roasted
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roasted
- crumbled cotija or aged monterey jack or grated monterey jack cheese
- romaine or other sturdy lettuce leaves for garnish (optional)
- Purée oils with garlic and onion in a blender.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a large jar with a lid.
- Combine with the remaining dressing ingredients and shake well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Slice the chiles and bell peppers into ribbons about ½ inch thick.
- Arrange them decoratively on a serving platter.
- Pour the dressing over the chiles and scatter the cheese on top.
- Garnish with lettuce around the plate’s edge.