Event Theme: Picture Perfect
Final Numbers: Following are the official numbers for the 48th Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta held October 5-13, 2019.
- Total number of registered hot air balloons: 588
- Total number of registered special shape balloons: 104
- Total number of registered pilots (primary and additional): 671
- Total number of America’s Challenge Gas Race teams: 9
- Total number of estimated guest-visits: 866,414
- Total number of media organizations: 141
- Total number of registered media representatives: 839
- Total number of views on Balloon Fiesta Live: 740,901
Total numbers of countries represented (registered pilots): 17 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Kenya, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand and the United States of America).
Event Sessions: One of the 14 sessions was cancelled due to poor weather conditions (Oct. 10th p.m.).
Team Fastrax: A team of four skydivers kicked off the evening sessions and started our evening AfterGlow Fireworks shows sponsored by Sandia Resort and Casino with 10 performances.
America’s Challenge: Andy Cayton of the USA and Krzysztof Zapart of Poland (Team 1), are the winners of the 23rd America’s Challenge. Cayton and Zapart flew 1,614 miles (2,598.61 km), landing in a remote area in northern Ontario province in Canada.
Balloon Competition Winners: The first prize in the hot air overall competition was awarded to Chris Liberti, of Colorado. Second overall highest score went to Branden Bloom of Iowa and third to Bruce Wood of Colorado.
Navigators: More than 1,300 Navigators volunteered during this year’s event. Navigators (not including chase crew) are volunteers who provide guest services, administrative services, balloon coordination and safety, set-up and logistics, and more in over 40 different areas.
X Marks the Spot: Landowners picked up 287 white Xs to mark their land as an approved spot for balloonists to land during this year’s event. There were also many white sheets that were displayed to indicate the land was open for landings. Sponsored by the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce, nine winners and one grand prize winner will be awarded gift baskets for their participation.
Glamping & Concierge Program: There were 55 Glamping reservations made this year, with a total of 242 guests and 81 Concierge Program reservations with a total of 130 guests.
Additional information about the 2019 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta can be found at www.balloonfiesta.com. The 2020 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta will be held October 3 -11.
* It’s difficult to accurately track the number of spectators attending the nine-day event. In order to fulfill media requests on the number of people attending the event, the Balloon Fiesta generates “estimated guest visits.” The estimate is generated by combining the number of advance tickets and passes issued to guests, media, balloon teams, chase crew, park and ride, sponsors, service vehicles, corporate buses, entertainers, recreational vehicles, Balloon Fiesta staff, Balloon Fiesta contractors and Balloon Fiesta VIPs. In some instances, different multipliers are used to compensate for multiple and return visits to the Balloon Fiesta Park.