1.) Cheesy Mashed Garlic Potatoes with Green Chile
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Green Chile
- 5 lbs golden yellow potatoes (russets would work as well), peeled and then chopped into approximately 2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp is easiest
- approximately 1/2 cup heavy cream, adjust according to the creaminess and thickness that you prefer (milk works fine for this, the cream simply creates a more decadent dish)
- 7 oz chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic, garlic powder works as well
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Boil them until fork tender. Drain them and then place the pot with just the potatoes back on the warm burner.
Turn the heat to the lowest setting and begin mashing the potatoes. Once the potatoes are almost completely mashed, add the butter, cream or milk, green chile and seasonings. Continue mashing over lowest heat until the mixture is as smooth and creamy as you like. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
Place the potatoes in an oven safe dish and top with the shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until melted, but not browned, approximately 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!