Hatch Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie
This meal is going to knock your socks off and become one of your new favorites. If you’re into the spicer side of life, then you’re probably super-cool and will have to make this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie, or else… Better yet, you’re probably New Mexican. If not, don’t be discouraged. This recipe makes two pies. So, take them to your next potluck or family gathering and bring a smile to everyone’s tummy.
Makes 2 Pies
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 4 Unroll Pie Crusts or similar, for top and bottom pie crusts for two pies (see photo)
- 1 Whole Chicken (Cooked, all meat removed and separated from bone/cartilage)
- 1 1/2 Cups Hatch Green Chile or similar New Mexico Green Chile (Roasted, Peeled, De-seeded, Chopped)
- 2 Cups Half & Half, Heavy Cream, or Whole Milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 Cup Sweet Green Peas
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Cups Celery (Chopped)
- 4 Cups Carrots (Chopped)
- 2 Cups White Onion (Chopped finely)
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Room Temp. Salted Butter
- 1/2 Cup White Wine (Chardonnay)
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Parsley (Fresh, Dried, or Ground)
- 1 Tsp. Thyme (Fresh, Dried, or Ground)
How to Prepare Hatch Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F (200˚ C)
- The first thing you’ll need is a large pot. You should already have all your vegetables prepared, i.e. chopped.
- Add the butter, celery, onion, peas, and carrots to the pot on a medium-high heat. Cook the vegetables down for a few minutes. Until they’ve become soft, but not translucent. Then add the Parsley, Salt, Pepper, and Thyme.
- Add the flour, and stir until you’ve developed a roux.
- Add your half and half, chicken broth, and Chardonnay, then turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- Once you see it begin to thicken, turn heat down to a medium heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add chicken and Hatch Green Chile, then stir thoroughly, set aside.
How to Prepare Hatch Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie Crust
- You’ll need two 10 inch round glass oven-safe pie dishes.
- Add one layer of unrolling pie crust to the bottom of each dish. Then trim excess dough from edges. (no need to grease dish)
- Add the Hatch Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie filling to both pies, adding as much as you can.
- Now, place the remaining unrolling pie crusts on top of the two filled pies.
- Trim the excess dough from the edges.
- With a basting brush, brush some of the beaten egg over the entire surface of both pie crusts.
- With your hands, seal the edges of the pie, pinching them along the entire seam.
- Poke several holes in the top of the pie to allow air to escape while baking.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then let stand for 5 minutes.