- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons Manteca (Lard) or shortening
- 1 1/2 cups warm water or milk, approximately
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cut in shortening.
2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add water, a small amount at a time, and work mixture into a dough.
3. Knead dough until smooth, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Form dough into balls the size of an egg. Roll each ball of dough into a circle 6 inches in diameter.
5. Heat a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat. Place each tortilla on griddle and cook for approximately 1 minute on each side. (Tortilla should be lightly speckled.)