Yield: 6-8 servings
Temperature: Around 400˚ (deep cast iron or porcelain lined skillet work best)
Fry Bread Recipe
- 2 cups Bluebird flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Shortening or Manteca (Lard)
- 2/3 cup warm water
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add warm water to flour mixture and work into a smooth and elastic dough.
3. Divide dough into balls of the desired size.* On a board lightly dusted with cornmeal or flour, roll out each ball of dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Cut a hole in the center of each circle. (important)
4. Heat 2 inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
5. Fry the dough in the Shortening, one circle at a time, until golden on both sides, turning once. Drain on absorbent towels.